Retention Checklist 1
It costs money when employees leave a company, so any investment you can make to reduce the turnover of workers is a good investment.
Employees stay with a company for a whole host of reasons. Use the following checklist to help you think about new ways to make your workplace even more attractive for workers.
Employee ownership, decision-making and flexibility
- Share the vision, mission and strategies of the business with employees.
- Include employees in decision-making.
- Allow employees to have independence and control over work
A motivating, supportive and trusting environment
- Ensure that employees are supported to be productive at work.
- Encourage teamwork among employees.
- Recognize and reward employee contribution.
A healthy, safe and comfortable workplace
- Provide a safe a healthy workplace.
- Provide people-friendly facilities.
- Provide a clean, comfortable environment.
Work and personal life in balance
- Allow flexible hours and vacations.
- Consider alternative working arrangements (e.g. part time, modified work weeks).
- Allow employees some discretion over timing of overtime.
Regular and open communication
- Continually share information and knowledge with all employees.
- Consider regular employee meetings or up-date employees on a frequent basis.
- Provide regular feedback to employees and managers.
1Adapted from “Managing your Human Assets” Templates, p. 7