Attracting Young Workers
Youth today have many opportunities to choose from, so employers need to set themselves apart from other employers by appealing to their interests.
This section will provide you with some helpful tips on how can you make your workplace more attractive to youth.
- Pay fair competitive wages and benefits, but consider lifestyle factors too.
- Offer opportunities. Young people value the opportunity to do creative, challenging work.
- Create a work environment that is highly organized around teamwork and collaboration.
- Ensure that your physical office space is attractive, has quality furniture and is up-to-date with technology. Young people judge a workplace by its “look.”
- Provide young people with the ability to personalize their space.
- Provide a safe workplace, free from security issues.
- Provide open space office organization rather than confining them to cubicles. Ensure that there is adequate space between workers to ensure privacy.
- Provide combinations of work activity and social interaction.
- Offer flexibility in terms of relaxed dress codes and allowing music to be played.
- Offer flexible work schedules, telecommuting, full tuition reimbursement and on-line learning tools.
- Be open to the new perspectives younger people bring to the workplace.
- Be more concerned with skill and knowledge based opportunities than long term job security.
- Provide ongoing feedback - this is critical to youth.
- Provide opportunities for them to use technology tools as part of their work – it is their lifestyle.
Benefits of Hiring Youth
Our greatest resource is our young people. Youth have passion, determination, ambition and drive. Who wouldn’t want to have individuals with these qualities working for their business?
Here are some of the many benefits associated with hiring youth:
They are eager and willing to learn; Youth enjoy learning and are open to coaching and mentoring from others.
They are enthusiastic, energetic and physically active; Engaged youth bring a level of energy to work products.
They are creative, adaptable, open minded and learn quickly; Youth are interested in skill and knowledge-building opportunities. They thrive on being able to apply their creativity and adapt quickly to meet new challenges.
They are not afraid of technology or change; Youth embrace change. They like the challenge and the opportunities that change brings. Businesses can use the skills that youth bring with regard to technology to implement cost saving technological changes.
They are a wealth of knowledge; Youth are very knowledgeable as a result of being constantly plugged into the internet. If there is something that they do not know, they know how to find it.
They bring new ideas and perspectives to the workplace; Youth share their ideas and give suggestions as to how businesses can manage these ideas effectively.
They are very comfortable in a diverse workplace; Youth have grown up in a diverse culture. They have a strong sense of individuality and welcome it in others.
Youth represent the future of business; Youth are the future customers of the business. By using the knowledge that youth bring to your workplace to help customize your services or products, your business is able to increase or expand its business opportunities.